We have arranged for MAA members to paint the lavender fields at Springfield Manor, an event venue, inn and winery in Thurmont, Maryland. Forgo the crowds of the lavender festival the weekend before and join us for a morning and afternoon of plein air painting at a historic estate dating back to 1774.
We have no formal program planned--just free admission to this lovely site, and perhaps we'll gather for a drink on the patio before the day ends. The objective is simply to have dedicated time and space to make art at an inspiring spot! MAA's John MacArthur will be on site and will serve as our coordinator if you need anything.
Cost: Free. You must be an MAA member to participate.
Registration: All participants must register here in advance so that we can provide the property managers with a guest list.
- Artists are asked to please stay on the left side of the driveway--the winery/distillery side. The right side is reserved for a wedding that day.
- All art making should be done outdoors. The lavender fields, barn, grapevines and winery/distillery building are possible subjects.
- You may arrive/depart as you wish between 8:30 am and 2:30 pm.
- Please bring everything you need for the day, including art supplies and equipment, sun protection, insect repellent and food and water.
- Bees love lavender--please take precautions against stings.
- Wine, beer and spirits are available for purchase after 12 pm.
We will meet on site. The venue is at 11836 Auburn Rd. in Thurmont, approximately 40 miles from Rockville Town Center. It should take 40- to 50-minutes to get there. If you’d like to try to coordinate a carpool, or if you need a ride, please post a message on our members-only Facebook group
Rain date: In the event of rain, we're guessing most artists wouldn't want to attend. It's up to you, though. We won't have an official cancellation per se.
Questions: Email John MacArthur at email@example.com.